[R-meta] The trim and fill method for rma.mv function

Rafael Rios biorafaelrm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:51:12 CET 2017

Dear Michael,

Thank for your answers in both e-mails. I don't know if I understand your
suggestion. To investigate potential publication bias, I used a modified
version of Egger's test, using rma.mv function with random variables and
standard error as moderator. I found a bias in my data set. After remove
outliers (i.e. values outside 95% confidence interval of funnel plot),
however, I still found a bias. Do you recommend a different approach? Are
you suggesting to use a different residual distribution in a generalized
linear mixed models? I don't know how to change distribution in function
rma.mv of metafor package. May you help me?

Best wishes,

Rafael R. Moura.
*scientia amabilis*

Doutorando da Pós-graduação em Ecologia e Conservação de Recursos Naturais
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, Uberlândia, MG, Brasil

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7911-4734
Currículo Lattes:
http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4244908A8
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rafael_Rios_Moura2

<http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4244908A8>

> Dear Rafael
>
> Removing outliers without an external justification is usually not
> recommended as it (a) is data-dependent, (b) they might be the most
> interesting observations, (c) it is better to alter the model to fit the
> data, not alter the data to fit the model.
>
> Michael
>
> On 31/10/2017 22:22, Rafael Rios wrote:
>
>> Dear Wolfgang,
>>
>> Thank you. I tried the approach that you suggested using the standard
>> error
>> as moderator, and I found a bias in my data set. I removed outliers (i.e.
>> values outside the 95% confidence interval of the funnel plot), but I
>> still
>> found a p<0.05 for the intercept. Then, I decided to removed values
>> outside
>> 90% confidence interval using a contour-enhanced funnel plot and do the
>> meta-analyses. Do you agree with my approach or recommend a different one?
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Rafael R. Moura.
>> *scientia amabilis*
>>
>> Doutorando da Pós-graduação em Ecologia e Conservação de Recursos Naturais
>> Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, Uberlândia, MG, Brasil
>>
>> ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7911-4734
>> Currículo Lattes:
>> http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4244908A8
>> Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rafael_Rios_Moura2
>>

>> <http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.do?id=K4244908A8>

>> wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl>:
>>
>> Dear Rafael,
>>>
>>> The trim and fill method has not been generalized to more complex models,
>>> so this is why this is not available in metafor.
>>>
>>> It is relatively straightforward though to extend the 'regression test'
>>> more complex models. Simply include some measure of precision of the
>>> estimates (e.g., the standard error, the (inverse) sample size) as a
>>> predictor/moderator into the model.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Wolfgang
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
>>> Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
>>> Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com

>>> rma.mv function. Do you know any alternative to conduct this analysis