[R-meta] Ratio of Means

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Jul 19 10:30:47 CEST 2017

I would say the canonical reference on the log transformed ratio of means (often called the 'response ratio' in the field of ecology) is:

Hedges, L. V., Gurevitch, J., & Curtis, P. S. (1999). The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology, 80(4), 1150-1156.

If you are using metafor, the data used in that paper can be found under dat.curtis1998 (i.e., help(dat.curtis1998) for more details).

This measure is used quite a lot in meta-analyses in that field since the measurements in those studies tend to be ratio scale measurements (e.g., the weight/mass/height of plants grown under different experimental conditions). And in fact, that is the big caveat: This outcome measure is only applicable for ratio scale measurements. Note that the examples in Friedrich, Adhikari, & Beyene (2008) are also all based on things that could be considered ratio scale measurements (urine output, serum creatinine, and creatinine clearance).

So, as long as you are dealing with such measurements, I think the response ratio is a perfectly fine outcome measure for a meta-analysis.

Minor sidenote: In rma.uni(), you should use test="knha" instead of knha=TRUE. The latter still works, but is now undocumented.

Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com