[R-meta] Ratio of Means

Nathan Pace n.l.pace at utah.edu
Wed Jul 19 07:19:21 CEST 2017

Hi All,

In two papers (J Clin Epidemiol 2011;64:556–564. BMC Med Res Method 2008;8(32)DOI: 10.1186/1471-2288-8-32)
Friedrich, Adhikari, and Beyene proposed methods for the meta analysis of the Ratio of Means of continuous outcomes.

Using the reported means, standard deviations, and sample sizes of the experimental and control groups, the log of the ratio of means and the associated standard error using a first order delta methods are estimated. This meta analysis then uses the generic inverse variance method.

I have a k = 23 meta analysis. I used the metafor function rma.uni with REML and knha = T; a moderator was included.

Any comments?

Any unexpected pitfalls?

Nathan