[R-meta] Calculating variances and z transformation for tetrachoric, biserial correlations?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Jul 3 00:27:24 CEST 2017

As James mentioned, just use:

Var(z) = Var(r) / (1 - r^2)^2

to compute the sampling variance of a Fisher's r-to-z transformed coefficient. So, for example:

dat1 <- escalc(measure="COR", ri=0.42, ni=23, add.measure=TRUE)
dat2 <- escalc(measure="RBIS", m1i=2.5, m2i=2.0, sd1i=1.1, sd2i=0.9, n1i=20, n2i=20, add.measure=TRUE)
dat3 <- escalc(measure="RTET", ai=10, bi=4, ci=6, di=12, add.measure=TRUE)
dat <- rbind(dat1, dat2, dat3)
dat

dat$vi <- dat$vi / (1 - dat$yi^2)^2
dat$yi <- transf.rtoz(dat$yi)
dat

You can also do this with the polyserial coefficient.

Note that for standard correlations, this results in using to 1/(n-1) for the variance (e.g., 1/22 in this example). To use the slightly more accurate 1/(n-3):

dat$vi[1] <- 1/(23-3)
dat

To compare:

escalc(measure="ZCOR", ri=0.42, ni=23, add.measure=TRUE)