[R-meta] Calculating variances and z transformation for tetrachoric, biserial correlations?

Mark White markhwhiteii at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 00:01:55 CEST 2017

Thanks for your prompt and detailed responses!

All of the effect sizes I culled that were from 2x2 tables, Ms and SDs, or
t- and F-statistics were artificially dichotomized (either both or one
variable, respectively). So they are, in fact, coming from a truly
continuous distribution, so I believe that they can all be compared to one
another.

So it seems like:

1. The 217 "regular" correlations can be converted from r to z, and then I
can use the 1/(N-3) variance for that.

2. The 10 effect sizes where only one variable was dichotomized can be
converted to d (via Ms and SDs, or ts and Fs), which can then be converted
to r_{eg} to z, via James's 2014 paper. I can also use his calculations for
the variance of z from r_{eg}.

(I would be doing this instead of `metafor::escalc`, because even though I
could directly convert r_{bis} to z using the normal Fisher's r to z
transformation, there is no way to go from var(RBIS) to var(Z), and using
1/(N-3) is not appropriate).

3. The issue is the 12 effect sizes from 2x2 contingency tables since even
though I could convert directly from r_{tet} to z using Fisher's
transformation, there is no way to go from var(RTET) to var(Z), and using
1/(N-3) is not appropriate. I suppose I could go from an odds ratio to d to
r_{eg} to z, using James's 2014 paper?

4. The other issue is, even though I could get the r_{poly} to z, I could
not get the var(r_{poly}) to var(z), and again using 1/(N-3) is not
appropriate.

How much would it harm the meta-analysis if 217 of my 240 effect sizes had
the correct estimation of 1/(N-3), but the other 23 effects—transformed
from r_{bis}, r_{poly}, r_{tet}—to z and then their variances estimated
incorrectly using 1/(N-3)? It seems like, although I can get comparable
effect sizes now, I cannot transform their variances appropriately.

Thanks,
Mark