[R-meta] predicted intervals in metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Dec 15 09:38:02 CET 2017

Dear Raynaud,

Once you have the SMD values and corresponding sampling variances, the code is the same. Here is an example:

library(metafor)

### load data
dat <- get(data(dat.normand1999))

### calculate SMDs and corresponding sampling variances
dat <- escalc(measure="SMD", m1i=m1i, sd1i=sd1i, n1i=n1i, m2i=m2i, sd2i=sd2i, n2i=n2i, data=dat)
dat

### meta-analysis of SMD values using a random-effects model
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat)
res

### get prediction/credibility interval
predict(res)

If you have calculated the SMD values and variances yourself, you can skip the escalc() step and go straight to rma(). Adjust variables names as needed.