[R-meta] multilevel meta-analysis using metafor

Wolfgang Viechtbauer wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Aug 30 16:31:46 CEST 2017

Yes, this is indeed how you can approach this.

And yes, if the var-cov structured is misspecified (which it is in your
case), then the fixed effects are still estimated unbiasedly (although
not as efficiently). The problem is that the SEs of the fixed effects
will not be correct. Using robust() allows you to get more appropriate
estimates of the SEs (and hence more appropriate tests/CIs).