[R-meta] multilevel meta-analysis using metafor

Wolfgang Viechtbauer wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Aug 30 14:05:44 CEST 2017

Please keep the mailing list in cc.

Yes, this means the subjects overlap, that is, the correlations are
computed based on the same sample. In that case, the correlations are
correlated. Equations for computing the covariances can be found in:

Steiger, J. H. (1980). Tests for comparing elements of a correlation
matrix. Psychological Bulletin, 87(2), 245-251.

There are various cases. Let's say there are four variables: x1, x2, x4,
and x4, all measured in the same sample. Then we have the case of
non-overlapping variables:

cov(cor(x1,x2), cor(x3,x4))

To compute that covariance, you will need the full 4x4 correlation matrix.

And there is the case of partially overlapping variables, for example:

cov(cor(x1,x2), cor(x1,x3))

To compute the covariance here, you will need cor(x2,x3) (obviously,
cor(x1,x2) and cor(x1,x3) you already have, otherwise you would not be
interested in their covariance).

Again, the necessary equations can be found in Steiger (1980).

If you do not have the information to compute the covariances, then we
are back to the situation where the covariances between the outcomes
cannot be computed. See previous posts on how to deal with that. For
example:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2017-August/000097.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2017-August/000094.html

Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com