[R-meta] Observed effect size using escalc

Myers, Brett brett.myers at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:58:19 CEST 2017

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Here is the pertinent line of code from which yi is derived:

meta_escalc <- escalc(measure="SMD", n1i=n, n2i=n.1, m1i=(post_mean-pre_mean), m2i=(post_mean.1-pre_mean.1), sd1i=pre_sd, sd2i=pre_sd.1, data=newdata)

In the summary data output, yi is introduced, so I assume escalc is calculating the effect size based on our input variables. I was under the impression effect size would be calculated as:
ES = [(post_mean-pre_mean) - (post_mean.1-pre_mean.1)] / (pooled pretest sd)

However, the solution of ES by hand does not match the yi output from escalc, which leads me to wonder what the calculation actually is. Any thoughts on this?

Brett