[R-meta] imputing covariance matrices for meta-analysis of dependent effects

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Aug 10 22:15:23 CEST 2017

"considering that the formulas given in Gleser & Olkin and Kalaian & Raudenbush are themselves only large-sample approximations."

Indeed, good point. Since I was playing around with this anyway, here is an example:

dat <- data.frame(study=c(1,1), n1i=c(30,30), n2i=c(25,25), m1i=c(84,33), m2i=c(78,32), sd1i=c(10.2,1.4), sd2i=c(11.4,1.3))

dat$spi <- with(dat, sqrt(((n1i-1)*sd1i^2 + (n2i-1)*sd2i^2) / (n1i+n2i-2)))
dat$yi  <- with(dat, (m1i - m2i) / spi)
dat$vi  <- with(dat, 1/n1i + 1/n2i + yi^2 / (2*(n1i+n2i)))

### covariance according to eq. (10) from Kalaian and Raudenbush (1996)
with(dat, 1/n1i[1] + 1/n2i[1] * 0.7 + (1/2 * yi[1] * yi[2] * 0.7^2) / (n1i[1] + n2i[1]))

impute_covariance_matrix(vi = dat$vi, cluster = dat$study, r = 0.7)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the difference.

As for the three-level model being used for multivariate analyses -- there is also:

Van den Noortgate, W., Lopez-Lopez, J. A., Marin-Martinez, F., & Sanchez-Meca, J. (2015). Meta-analysis of multiple outcomes: A multilevel approach. Behavior Research Methods, 47(4), 1274-1294.

Personally, I do not consider this approach fully sufficient. For example, it assumes that the amount of heterogeneity is the same for all outcomes. That is not something I would want to assume a priori. I can easily construct examples where this will lead to inadequate performance of the multilevel approach (e.g., the CI for a more heterogeneous outcome will be too narrow and too wide for a less heterogeneous outcome). If the data are multivariate, I would like people to analyze them as such.