[R-meta] imputing covariance matrices for meta-analysis of dependent effects

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 21:33:47 CEST 2017

Wolfgang,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that the covariance formula I'm using is
an approximation, and would be most appropriate for use in conjunction with
cluster-robust variance estimation. It might be more accurate to describe
this method as imputing a correlation between the effect size estimates,
rather than a correlation between the outcomes. In practice, I doubt that
there will be much difference though, particularly considering that the
formulas given in Gleser & Olkin and Kalaian & Raudenbush are themselves
only large-sample approximations.

Regarding your concern about using three-level models in this context, I
have seen this method cropping up recently as well, with citations to the
following paper:

> Van den Noortgate, W., López-López, J. A., Marín-Martínez, F., &
> Sánchez-Meca, J. (2013). Three-level meta-analysis of dependent effect
> sizes. Behavior Research Methods, 45(2), 576–594.
> https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-012-0261-6

The authors argue that the three-level model is actually robust to the
mis-specification problem you noted. However, the simulation evidence that
they present is limited to a simple bivariate meta-analysis model with no
covariates. I am not sure whether the robustness property would hold under
more complicated models.

James