[R-SIG-Mac] Knitting an Rmarkdown file fails for pdf

Antony Unwin unw|n @end|ng |rom m@th@un|-@ug@burg@de
Sun May 5 16:27:19 CEST 2024

I have recently updated my Mac to R 4.4.0 and the latest version of RStudio.  This may or may not be the reason that any Rmd files of mine with citations fail with the following error on knitting to pdf:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.98 \NewDocumentCommand
                        \citeproctext{}{}

Error: LaTeX failed to compile citeTest.tex.

Knitting to html or to word work fine.  Knitting to pdf without citations works as well.  Does anyone have a solution?

As a test file I have used the sample Rmd file from Posit with one citation added.

Thanks for any help

Antony

Professor (em.) Antony Unwin
Mathematics Institute,