[R-SIG-Mac] Permission issues running R in terminal

Sun Feb 18 23:57:05 CET 2024

I wanted to see the options to R CMD INSTALL, and was surprised to see
this output:

$ R CMD INSTALL --help
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
Error in tools:::.install_packages() :
   current working directory cannot be ascertained
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted

I installed R from CRAN, and am not running the current version:  I'm
still on 4.3.1, with OS also kind of old:  Monterey 12.7.3, so I was
surprised by this.  Is anyone else seeing it?

Duncan Murdoch