[R-SIG-Mac] Graphics in R, version 4.3.2, does not work well in MacOS

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Fri Feb 16 11:36:46 CET 2024

You need to make clear what graphics device and R build you used: the
default on a CRAN build of macOS is quartz(), which has nothing to do
with XQuartz.  But is this a CRAN build?  AFAIK quartz() is not the
default device in RStudio.

And also give the information (sessionInfo()) requested in the posting
guide.  As Christophe Dutang has posted, this works for him on arm64
macOS (and also for me).  CRAN provides both Intel and arm64 builds ....

As the posting guide also asks, you should try R-patched: binary
installers are available at https://mac.r-project.org/ for both
architectures.

The macOS GUI is usually called R.app (see e.g. the R-admin manual).
RGUI is for Windows.

On 16/02/2024 09:25, María de los Ángeles Casares de Cal via R-SIG-Mac
wrote:
> Dear Simon and anyone else who might be interested in this:
>
> I have studied in more detail the problem referred to in the message below, and can confirm that R does not work well on macOS when I do graphics (plots).
> I have only tested with the "abline” command, using the examples that are in R’s help. And it does not work.
> I have tested it on several computers, in Terminal and with RGUI.
> I have also checked it in RStudio in macOS (it does work) and with R in Windows (it does work).
>
> What I have done is the following:
> In the "abline" command help, the first example is:
> ## Setup up coordinate system (with x == y aspect ratio):
> plot(c(-2,3), c(-1,5), type = "n", xlab = "x", ylab = "y", asp = 1)
> ## the x- and y-axis, and an integer grid
> abline(h = 0, v = 0, col = "gray60")
> text(1,0, "abline( h = 0 )", col = "gray60", adj = c(0, -.1))
> abline(h = -1:5, v = -2:3, col = "lightgray", lty = 3)
> abline(a = 1, b = 2, col = 2)
> text(1,3, "abline( 1, 2 )", col = 2, adj = c(-.1, -.1))
>
> if I run line by line, R does not do the plots (only open the Quartz window).
> If I run all together, R does the plots sometimes yes and sometimes no.
>
> I have the latest stable version of XQuartz (2.8.5)
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Best regards.
> María-Ángeles Casares-de-Cal
>

>> Inicio del mensaje reenviado:
>>
>> De: María de los Ángeles Casares de Cal <macdec using me.com>
>> Asunto: Spanish version of R, version 4.3.2, does not work
>> Fecha: 14 de febrero de 2024, 20:29:09 CET
>> Para: r-sig-mac using r-project.org
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a problem since I have installed the last version of R 4.3.2 (spanish version)
>> R does not work!
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> x <- 1:20         		        #this is ok
>> y <- 10 + rnorm(n=20,mean=0,sd=1)  	#this is ok
>> plot(x,y,pch=20,col="red")  	        #this is ok, but I have to run some times this
>> model <- lm(y~x)                        #this is ok
>> summary(model)  		        #this is ok
>> abline(model)      		        #R does not plot the regression line in the window where I have the points.
>>
>> (And this code in RStudio works well).
>>
>> (I have installed the last version of XQuartz.)
>>
>> I do not know what is the problem.
>> Perhaps, because is the Spanish version?
>> How can I install the English version?
>>
>> Any help?
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Best regards.
>> María-Ángeles Casares-de-Cal
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk