[R-SIG-Mac] [R-pkg-devel] 'Default' macos (x86) download URL now gone?

Sun Apr 23 20:27:54 CEST 2023

On 23/04/2023 11:25 a.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> The URL ${CRAN}/bin/macosx/R-latest.pkg is in fairlt widespread use. A quick
> Google query [1] reveals about 1.1k hits. And it happens to be used too in a
> CI job a colleague noticed failing yesterday.
>
> The bin/macosx/ page now prominently displays both leading flavours
>    R-4.3.0-arm64.pkg
>    R-4.3.0-x86_64.pkg
> which makes sense give the architecture choices. We can of course update the
> CI script, and likely will.
>
> But given that this was apparently a somewhat widely-used URL to fetch R on
> macOS, may I suggest that the convenience link be reestablished as a courtesy?

[Moved from R-pkg-devel]

Would that make sense?  You suggest pointing to R-4.3.0-x86_64.pkg, but
I think fewer and fewer MacOS users would want that, so maybe it's not a
good idea.

On the other hand, maybe R-latest-arm64.pkg and R-latest-x86_64.pkg
should be created.

Duncan Murdoch