[R-SIG-Mac] ANSI escape weirdness on M1 (libedit issue?)

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 12 23:11:56 CET 2021

Thanks for the answer, I actually just saw this today, it went into my
spam folder for some reason.

Anyway, I tried to build readline 5.2 and it wasn't that bad. I got
the source for the libreadline-gplv2-dev Debian package
(https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libreadline-gplv2-dev). This is
readline 5.2 plus some readline patches and some more Debian patches.
It is easiest to do this in Debian, where `apt-get source` applies the
patches automatically. I used Debian Buster. After that I only had to
add two

#include <sys/ioctl.h>

lines to terminal.c and rltty.c.

I put the patched tarball here if you don't want to patch it yourself:
https://files.r-hub.io/readline/ I did build R-devel against it, and
it seems to work great.

In summary, this should do it:

curl -O https://files.r-hub.io/readline/readline5-5.2+dfsg-1.tar.gz
tar xzf readline5-5.2+dfsg-1.tar.gz
cd readline5-5.2+dfsg
./configure --prefix=/opt/R/arm64 --enable-static --enable-shared=NO
make
sudo make install

(Some info doc is missing for me, but that does not seem important.)

I am hopeful that this will work out.

Best,
Gabor