[R-SIG-Mac] R 4.1 for my Mac M1 crashing on installing packages

Renato Morais ren@tomor@|@@r@ujo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 19 11:33:59 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive my clumsy error reporting.

I have just downloaded *R-4.1-branch.pkg* for my Mac M1, as I wanted to
finally enjoy a native normal-speed R (for some reason running v 4.0.5 on
Rosetta was extremely slow on my machine). I also installed the latest
XQuartz, as indicated (v 2.8.1).

Sad story is, when I try a simple install.packages command, it first
appears to ignore me, after returning 'Please select a CRAN mirror for use
in this session'. if I insist, it crashes. No useful error messages. Trying
via the Package Installer tab didn't work either. It doesn't find any
packages, indeed it crashes if I ask it to load the list.

Trying to open via R.Studio 1.4.1106 was as unsuccessful. In fact, I get a
nice 'Error starting R' rendered window saying it cannot load my library:

dyld: could not load inserted library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib' because no
suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib: mach-o, but wrong
architecture /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib:
stat() failed with errno=1

In summary, can anybody give me an insight on what might be going on?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Renato

--

*Renato Morais*