[R-SIG-Mac] [External] Behaviour or Quartz windows

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Tue Feb 9 19:26:28 CET 2021

The quartz() device has nothing to so with XQuartz.  Quartz is part of
macOS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_(graphics_layer)

Using XQuartz betas is not supported: it is very unfortunate that they
are persuading users to install a beta version.

You have not followed the posting guide and posted the sessionInfo().
We are left to guess that you are using an Intel build of R under
emulation, but homebrew does have (a rather broken) arm64 build of R
4.0.3: we do not support arm64 builds on R < 4.1.0.  My understanding is
that in the CRAN release of R 4.0.3 only the X11() device and parts of
Tk interact with XQuartz, although other parts may in other builds.

On 09/02/2021 17:33, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> Is R on M1 really talking to the REAL XQuartz?  After I opened XQuartz from the spotlignt, it acknowledged the xterm window, but not the R graphics window.  When I closed the XQuartz
> app, the R graphics window was still open and functioning.  dev.cur() says "quartz".
>
> just checked on my older intel mac.  same behavior.  the Xquartz.app menu doesn't list
> the R graphics window, and the R graphics shows "...", not "XQuartz" in the menu bar.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk