[R-SIG-Mac] Reverse search not working in ARM binary of R-4.1.2 (or 4.1.0) from CRAN

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Thu Dec 9 22:17:47 CET 2021

On 09/12/2021 17:13, Ziv Wolkowicki wrote:
> Team,
>
> I have an unusual issue I am only observing on specific binaries of R. I used to have ARM build of R-4.1.0 from https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/ <https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/>, and updated to R-4.1.2 running on my M1 Mac. Hitting ‘Ctrl+R’ (reverse search of previously run commands) did nothing on either version. It does not react in any way. Though it reacts to Ctrl+C for example, so it is respond to some signals.

Hmm, what does extSoftversion() say? I see

     readline
  "4.2 (EditLine wrapper)"

So it is not using readline, and it is that which supports Ctrl-R (which
is not a signal).  This is all in the R-admin manual for you to read ....

> The unusual thing is, installing the ARM version for R-4.1.2 from homebrew, and also the x86 Mac build of R-4.1.2 from https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/ <https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/>, Ctrl+R works just fine.

Whereas the Intel (x86_64, sic) build is built with readline.  My guess
is that Homebrew's R was too, but extSoftversion() would tell you --
OTOH last time I looked it was built without cairo support.  (But
Homebrew is not supported here.)

> I still have both homebrew and pre-packaged versions installed on my system if you need some additional information or experiments run.
>
> Thanks,
> Ziv
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do as the posting guide asked and not send HTNL (so we don't have
to decipher doubled URLs).

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk