[R-SIG-Mac] Apple Silicon aka M1 Macs

Taras Zakharko t@r@@@z@kh@rko @end|ng |rom uzh@ch
Wed Nov 25 10:40:36 CET 2020

Creating a native Aarch64 build of R on my M1 machine was surprisingly straightforward. Here is a step-by-step instruction of what I did in case someone wants to replicate it:

1. Install native homebrew as described in this blog post under “Multiple Homebrews” (https://soffes.blog/homebrew-on-apple-silicon). You will need to manually chown a bunch of directories, keep an eye on brew output

2. Install the following brew packages

  brew install jpeg libpng libtiff pcre2 pkg-config tcl-tk xz zlib

  Again, pay attention to brew output, it is possible that you will have to manually reset ownership on some directories

3. Make sure that zlib can be discovered by pkg-config by making it’s pc file discoverable

     ln -s /opt/homebrew/Cellar/zlib/1.2.11/lib/pkgconfig/zlib.pc /opt/homebrew/lib/pkgconfig/

4. Install patched gfortran, I used the precompiled package from here:

     https://github.com/fxcoudert/gfortran-for-macOS/releases/tag/11-arm-alpha1

5. In  config.site, add the paths to homebrew libraries:

     CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/include
     LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/lib

Note: the R-admin manual tells to set CC, CXX, FC in config.sites, but it’s not strictly necessary, the build will work without them

5. Run the configure script, I used

      ./configure --enable-R-shlib --without-x  --enable-memory-profiling --with-blas="-framework Accelerate”

  Check that the summary makes sense. If PNG is disabled, it’s probably because you forgot step 3

6. Build R

      make -j4

7. Check that everything runs

      bin/R

   You should see something like "Platform: arm-apple-darwin20.2.0 (64-bit)” in the startup message.

All core tests seems to pass and the performance is excellent.

I have tried building tidyverse and it blocked on testthat. It seems that testthat uses a fairly old version of Catch which doesn’t detect platform correctly and tries to use some x86 inline assembly during the arm build…