[R-SIG-Mac] Apple Silicon aka M1 Macs

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Mon Nov 23 11:14:49 CET 2020

As a follow-up, I now have a preliminary native build of R (using a
gfortran compiled from sources forked from GCC and using minor
modifications of Tomas Kalibera's instructions).

The check timing was 148s, with Aqua (not X11) Tcl/Tk built from the
sources and no X11 support, so not quite 100% comparable.

Building the compiler took 45m elapsed with 100% CPU most of the time:
the machine (which has no fan) remained cool (unlike my MBP which has a
fan but rarely runs it and does get warm to the touch).

There is a preliminary write-up on 'arm64' Macs in R-devel's R-admin
manual (the version on CRAN is as usual a few days behind).

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk