[R-SIG-Mac] sf installation problem under Mac OS 11 - Big Sur

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal roy@mende|@@ohn @end|ng |rom no@@@gov
Fri Nov 20 01:20:01 CET 2020

Ditto on the thanks.  Will also remind people that there were warnings that folks might want to hold off on upgrading to Big Sur because there might be hiccups, and to wait till it looked like most things were resolved.

I imagine this is a huge amount of work.  Graeful to all who are working on it.

-Roy

> On Nov 19, 2020, at 4:07 PM, Milani Chaloupka <m.chaloupka using uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Thank you Simon.
>
> That worked exactly as you said for macOS Big Sur with rgdal, sf etc.
>
> Simple. Sensible. No fuss. No nonsense.
>
> I can also verify that after reinstall that cmdstanr and the Stan ecosystem work as well on Big Sur including using sf for maps results,
>
> So grateful for the work you do here.
>
> Milani
>

>> On 20 Nov 2020, at 6:06 am, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just for posterity, please do NOT follow those instructions unless you really want to build packages from sources and maintain them. Building GDAL can be tricky since the feature set depends on the libraries you have available, so use at your own risk.
>>
>> CRAN libraries have been updated to be compatible with Big Sur which removed some system libraries, so just re-install rgdal and sf from CRAN (thanks to Jeroen). To make sure you get the latest versions use
>> install.packages(c("rgdal","sf"),,"https://mac.R-project.org")
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon

**********************