[R-SIG-Mac] Apple Silicon aka M1 Macs

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Tue Nov 17 16:50:35 CET 2020

Prof. Ripley,

Thanks for these updates and for the efforts by all involved in this process.

I am holding off on moving to the M1 based Macs until next year, as besides waiting for a larger display variant, as I am also waiting on updates to other applications that will support that hardware in time.

You reference XQuartz below, and unless I am mis-reading the tea leaves, there seems to be an indication in their list archives that there is no plan to update their binary release to support the new hardware. That release has not been updated since 2016.

They seem to be suggesting a dependence upon MacPorts moving forward, possibly HomeBrew, for installing a native XQuartz on the new hardware. Either scenario introduces other issues idiosyncratic to those environments.

Not sure if that influences any decisions here, and presume that you may already be aware of those dynamics.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz