[R-SIG-Mac] obsolete LaTeX software in "R CMD check" on Mac?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse e| @end|ng |rom ||@@e@NA
Wed May 13 16:57:03 CEST 2020

Peter,

as far as I understand this the idea is to make the binaries of whatever
MacTeX you use available in

	/Library/TeX/texbin

so that it survives the (annual) upgrade of MacTeX or a switch from the
Basic to the Big MacTeX or whatever.

I would personally not remove the pdflatex, but find something like
UninstallPKG and then locate MacTeX in there and remove that (all
versions, so all old crud goes away.

If you, like me, use MacTeXBasic you can do something like

	if [ ! -x /usr/local/bin/gawk ]
	then
		brew install gawk
	fi
	tlmgr list --only-installed \
	   | gawk '{gsub(/:/, ""); print $2}' \
	   > ~/Downloads/texlive.$(date +%Y-%m-%d).installed.txt

before uninstalling the old packages, then you install the latest and
greatest MacTeXBasic and run something like

	tlmgr update --self
	tlmgr install $(cat ~/Downloads/texlive.$(date +%Y-%m-%d).installed.txt)

and, perhaps

	perl -i -p \
		-e 's+\$SELFAUTOPARENT/+/usr/local/texlive/+' \
		/usr/local/texlive/2020basic/texmf.cnf
	texhash

:-)-O

Nowadays, you can just

	sudo rm -rf /usr/local/texlive/2019basic

and if you use homebrew you might have /usr/local owned by yourself so
you don't need the sudo.

Time Machine is your friend (as I just noticed) :-)-O

el

On 13/05/2020 15:34, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Hmm, like Eberhard, I'm not too sure this is right.
>
> A look at ls -l /usr/local/bin should be informative though.
>
> I haven't been paying that close attention, but I think the history is
> that TeX programs used to live in /usr/local/bin, but then Apple did
> something(?)  so now they go to Library/TeX/texbin (and are really
> links that via several levels of indirection end up somewhere in
> /usr/local/texlive).  However, old installs may still have binaries or
> links in /usr/local/bin.  I would guess that a simple
>
> sudo rm /usr/local/bin/pdflatex
>
> could work (possibly remove some other *tex programs as well).
>
> -pd
[...]

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /       Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
el using lisse.NA             / *      |  Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)