[R-SIG-Mac] No labels in plots - none of the solutions that I've come across have worked

J Greenbaum jgb@um @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 19 18:50:16 CEST 2020

Still struggling with this and can't figure out how to prevent my fonts
from disappearing.  The workaround sometimes works, but sometimes I also
have to reboot and/or open Font Book.  I can't determine exactly how to
consistently bring back my fonts, or why they are disappearing in the first
place.  Any suggestions?

Bob, in response to your suggestion I installed the 'extrafont' package and
noticed a few warnings when I ran 'font_import' which may or may not be
relevant.  Here are a few:

40: In grepl("^Weight", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
41: In grepl("^FamilyName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
42: In grepl("^FontName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
43: In grepl("^FullName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
44: In grepl("^Weight", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
45: In grepl("^FamilyName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
46: In grepl("^FontName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
47: In grepl("^FullName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
48: In grepl("^Weight", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
49: In grepl("^FamilyName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale
50: In grepl("^FontName", text) : input string 4 is invalid in this locale

And here is the output of the second command (cleaner formatting here:
https://pastebin.com/FCAYq7ym):

> subset(extrafont::fonttable(), grepl("Arial", FontName))
   package                         afmfile
20      NA              Arial Black.afm.gz
21      NA        Arial Bold Italic.afm.gz
22      NA               Arial Bold.afm.gz
23      NA             Arial Italic.afm.gz
24      NA                    Arial.afm.gz
25      NA             Arial Narrow.afm.gz
26      NA        Arial Narrow Bold.afm.gz
27      NA Arial Narrow Bold Italic.afm.gz
28      NA      Arial Narrow Italic.afm.gz
29      NA       Arial Rounded Bold.afm.gz
30      NA            Arial Unicode.afm.gz
                                                          fontfile
20              /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Black.ttf
21        /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Bold Italic.ttf
22               /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Bold.ttf
23             /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Italic.ttf
24                    /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial.ttf
25             /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Narrow.ttf
26        /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Narrow Bold.ttf
27 /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Narrow Bold Italic.ttf
28      /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Narrow Italic.ttf
29       /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Rounded Bold.ttf
30            /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Arial Unicode.ttf
                   FullName            FamilyName               FontName
 Bold
20              Arial Black           Arial Black            Arial-Black
FALSE
21        Arial Bold Italic                 Arial     Arial-BoldItalicMT
 TRUE
22               Arial Bold                 Arial           Arial-BoldMT
 TRUE
23             Arial Italic                 Arial         Arial-ItalicMT
FALSE
24                    Arial                 Arial                ArialMT
FALSE
25             Arial Narrow          Arial Narrow            ArialNarrow
FALSE
26        Arial Narrow Bold          Arial Narrow       ArialNarrow-Bold
 TRUE
27 Arial Narrow Bold Italic          Arial Narrow ArialNarrow-BoldItalic
 TRUE
28      Arial Narrow Italic          Arial Narrow     ArialNarrow-Italic
FALSE
29    Arial Rounded MT Bold Arial Rounded MT Bold     ArialRoundedMTBold
FALSE
30         Arial Unicode MS      Arial Unicode MS         ArialUnicodeMS
FALSE
   Italic Symbol afmsymfile
20  FALSE  FALSE         NA
21   TRUE  FALSE         NA