[R-SIG-Mac] Labels not displaying in R plots

David Akin jd@k|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 9 01:37:42 CEST 2020

Bingo, Simon. Thanks.

Running Validate Font on all my fonts on my iMac did indeed result in
"Warnings and Errors" that there were duplicates -- including key 'default'
fonts like Arial and Palatino.

Some of those fonts were in:

~/Library/Fonts/

Duplicates were in:
/Users/*username*/Library/Fonts/

The directory on my iMac: /Users/*username*/Library/Fonts/ is chock full of
fonts.

Notably: In my MacBook, the directory: /Users/*username*/Library/Fonts/ -
has not got a single file in it!

So back on my iMac, I removed the duplicate fonts in the
/Users/*username*/Library/Fonts/
directory.

And, firing up R, running demo=(topic="graphics") -- I am now seeing labels!

Just to close this off then -- where does R look for font information when
it goes to plot something?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 5:51 PM Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org>
wrote:

> David,
>
> that is typically a sign of damaged fonts in your system. Open the Font
> Book (in Applications), select User and see if there are any broken fonts
> and remove them. You can also select fonts and run File -> Validate Font.
> Either way, you can compare your font configuration on both machines using
> Font Book.
>
> I hope it helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> > On Jun 9, 2020, at 6:37 AM, David Akin <jdakin using gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey listers --
> >
> > I'm a journalist and an R newbie but do I know my way around a Mac.
> >
> > Got a weird problem I'm trying to troubleshoot
> >
> > Both my Macbook Air and my iMac are running the same OS: Mojave 10.14.6
> >
> > But each one is running different versions of R.
> >
> > The iMac is running v 4.0.0 "Arbor Day"
> >
> > The Macbook is running 3.6.0 "Planting of a Tree"
> >
> > PROBLEM: Labels do not display in plots run on the iMac. Labels do
> display properly on the MacBook.
> >
> > Example:
> > Here's the colour wheel example from demo(topic="graphics") on the iMac.
> No labels.
> > <image.png>
> >
> > And here's the same plot as it displays on the Macbook. With Labels.
> > <Image 2020-06-08 at 9.11 AM.jpg>
> >
> > Looking a little closer at the fine print in the console when I fire up
> R, there is this line on my iMac:
> >
> > [R.app GUI 1.71 (7827) x86_64-apple-darwin17.0]
> >
> > But we have different version numbers on my Macbook:
> >
> > [R.app GUI 1.70 (7657) x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0]
> >
> > Attempted the following on the iMac:
> >
> > 1. Uninstalled R 4.0.0
> > 2. Grab the R 3.6.3 from http://mac.r-project.org/
> > 3. Installed R 3.6.3.
> > 4. Ran demo(topics="Graphics") again -- and got the same result -- no
> labels on any plots.
> >
> > Help?
> >

> > --
> > David Akin