[R-SIG-Mac] Using R on MacOS Catalina.....

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Thu Jan 30 10:21:36 CET 2020

Matthias,

CRAN R and all packages rely on absolute paths to the framework - that's why we don't allow any other location. However, the is nothing preventing you from moving it elsewhere and using a symlink. So your best bet is to install it and then move
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework
anywhere you want and create a symlink from there to the new location. If you don't even have enough space for a temporary install, you can use the tar balls provided at http://mac.r-project.org/ and unpack them on your secondary volume and create symlinks yourself. In that case, you will likely also want to create a symlink from /usr/local/bin/R to Resources/bin/R inside the framework - this is normally done by the installer script. FWIW, you can see the full postinstall script which is run by the installer here:
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build/packaging/leopard/scripts/postflight

In theory, you can also just symlink /Library/Frameworks and then install - I have not tested that but it should also work.