[R-SIG-Mac] random message on opening R-app

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Sun Jan 12 15:47:49 CET 2020

> On Jan 12, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Federico Calboli <federico.calboli using kuleuven.be> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> just to check whether I am the only one (or one of the lucky few) who randomly get the message (I posted it before but we did not seem to find a solution then):
>
> 2020-01-12 14:45:19.462 R[4163:3012268] Failed to connect (separatorView) outlet from (NSView) to (NSTitlebarSeparatorView): missing setter or instance variable
>
> on opening R-app.
>
> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.6.2 (2019-12-12)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
> Running under: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
>
> Matrix products: default
> BLAS:   /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
> LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib
>
> locale:
> [1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:

> [1] compiler_3.6.2
>

> It is harmless but offends my retentive nature — is there a permanent fix?
>
> Cheers

Hi,

Based upon a reply by Simon to your query last April:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2019-April/012972.html

while I do not have a definite response, you might try the following:

1. Check your ~/.Rprofile to see what if any settings or packages are defined at startup. You might rename the file to something else so that it does not get used, and see if the message persists. If not, then there may be something in that file that you may need to identify through trial and error.

2. Re-install XQuartz, which should done after each R update, to see if there is something related to that.

3. You might consider fully deleting R, all installed packages and R.app, and doing a clean install. The issue you had last April was with 3.6.0, so it is possible that something was corrupted and persists with 3.6.2. A prior post from you in March of last year with the same issue was with 3.5.3, so whatever was happening goes back a bit.

Not sure if that will get you anywhere, or are perhaps things that you have already tried, but some initial thoughts.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz