[R-SIG-Mac] Homebrew

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Thu Apr 2 13:09:18 CEST 2020

> On 2 Apr 2020, at 12:56, Hervé Pagès <hpages using fredhutch.org> wrote:
>
> Just for a minute let's ignore the fact that installing R via Homebrew is not considered a good option by the competent authorities (which sounds like a good enough reason to stay away from it). I'm still wondering: what's the benefit vs installing the official CRAN binary? Just curious.

Arguments against homebrew:

Not an official response, but in the past, homebrew was compiling everything on the local machine. This is not the case anymore, and the default installation in homebrew, installs a binary.

All packages need to be installed from source. This takes time, but I had no problems with any of the packages I use.

Just some tidbits from previous discussions.

But I would like to also hear the official reason (no resources would be a good enough justification as well).

Arguments for homebrew:

it is more Linux like, in the way that you have more control over the tools used. e.g. when still using the official R installation, I regularly used different versions of GDAL in R, GRASS, …, which can cause inconsistencies.

The installation is done without requiring root privileges, which is a big advantage (as I see it).

Cheers,

Rainer