[R-SIG-Mac] Transitioning from Mac to LInux?

Carl Witthoft c@r| @end|ng |rom w|ttho|t@com
Wed Apr 1 20:48:50 CEST 2020

  If I should ask over at r-sig-debian instead of here, please tell me.
I don't wish to clog r-sig-mac with off-topic stuff.

I've been watching the massive headaches people are dealing with trying
to keep R fully compatible with each MacOS X upgrade,  I'm wondering
whether replacing my iMac (2009) with a new Mac really makes sense from
an R - user point of view, as opposed to getting some inexpensive
desktop and installing Linux.  I know I can run R and RStudio under
Linux, for example,  but don't know what limitations, if any there are
when it comes to building packages from source, getting compatible
compilers,  and so on.

What have some of you 'power R users' discovered when/if you tried to
build , or incorporate Bioconductor or other repository's packages under
Linux?

--
Carl Witthoft
carl using witthoft.com