[R-SIG-Mac] Where is "sh" used by "R CMD check"?

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Fri Sep 20 23:14:25 CEST 2019

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 5:02 PM, Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using prodsyse.com> wrote:
>
> Hello:
>

>       How can I find "sh" that is used by "R CMD check" on my Mac?
>

>       I ask, my "Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac" blocks "R CMD check" with a pop up saying, "Bitdefender Safe Files blocked a new process, sh, from accessing your protected files.  What would you like to do?"  I'm allowed to allow access "For 5 minutes" or "For this time only" -- or I can block it forever.  I've been clicking "Allow access".
>

>       If I knew where "sh" was on my hard drive, I might be able to add it to a "white list" maintained by the antivirus.  Sadly, I don't know where it is.
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer Graves

Hi Spencer,

Typically via 'which' from a terminal:

~  which sh
/bin/sh

There is also 'whereis', but that will only check default system binary paths, whereas 'which' will also search your $PATH.

In this case, they return the same information:

~  whereis sh
/bin/sh

It sounds like you have the "Safe Files" option in Bitdefender enabled, which is optional, which is why the messages. I use BF also.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz