[R-SIG-Mac] Error when fitting a brms model, maybe associated with Catalina MacOS

Balamuta, James Joseph b@|@mut2 @end|ng |rom ||||no|@@edu
Thu Dec 12 19:51:06 CET 2019

Greetings and Salutations All,

Great to see the `r-macos-rtools` installer popping up! As the author of it, please note that it's an unofficial (non-CRAN backed) installer that seeks to automatically establish the CRAN toolchain in a friendly GUI installer. We developed it to help out students in STAT 385 @ UIUC [ http://stat385.com/ ]  setup the correct developer environment in a uniform manner as there wasn't really any prior installer packages made available at the time. We're grateful for the financial support that was given by Timothy Bates to sign the installer.

With this being said, each step the installer takes is documented across a README file, installer splash screen, and by a post.

README Overview: https://github.com/rmacoslib/r-macos-rtools#what-does-the-installer-do
Installer Splash: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rmacoslib/r-macos-rtools/master/readme_img/lock_icon.png
Post: https://thecoatlessprofessor.com/programming/cpp/r-compiler-tools-for-rcpp-on-macos/

That said, there is also Appendix C.3 macOS of R Installation and Administration [ https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#macOS ] that goes over the details in greater depth.

For those who are worried about security, please note that we've taken steps to ensure secure downloads by verifying the installer hashes prior to installing per prior remarks by Simon regarding earlier versions of the installer [ see the prior discussion and my response here: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2018-May/012745.html ].

Lastly, and perhaps more critically, please note that just using Xcode CLI is not sufficient as it does not match the prescribed compilation toolchain (clang7 with OpenMP enabled and gfortran).

Best,

JJB