[R-SIG-Mac] Issues with rj (requirement for StatET) since Mojave/3.5.1 update

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg @ending from unr@edu
Fri Nov 16 20:10:07 CET 2018

I'm hoping to get some insight into seeing if I can get "rj" working again in Mojave/R 3.5.1 -- this is a requirements for the Eclipse interface to R "Stat-ET") -- I'm seeing similar issues when trying to get rJava working also from source, e.g.:

Rscript -e 'install.packages("rJava", repos="http://rforge.net", type="source")'

and

install.packages(c("rj", "rj.gd<http://rj.gd>"), repos="http://download.walware.de/rj-2.1",type="source")

All issues lead to:

"clang: error: unsupported option '-fopenmp'"

I've installed clang6 and gfortran61 from CRAN, but that doesn't seem to work.  I've tried tweaking the ~/.R/Makevars, e.g.:

FLIBS=-L/usr/local/gfortran/lib -lgfortran -lquadmath -lm
CC=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang
CXX=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
CXX1X=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
CXX98=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
CXX11=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
CXX14=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
CXX17=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/clang6/lib

Which only results in a different error:
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//JavaVM.framework/JavaVM.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//JavaVM.framework/JavaVM are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: library not found for -lomp

Any ideas?
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Natural Resources & Environmental Science
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
Reno, NV 89557
Phone: 415-763-5476
http://www.unr.edu/nres
Gchat: jgrn307 using gmail.com<mailto:jgrn307 using gmail.com>, Skype: jgrn3007