[R-SIG-Mac] RQDA/RGtk2 Installation Problem

David Winsemius dwin@emiu@ @ending from comc@@t@net
Thu May 24 01:52:42 CEST 2018

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Ryoko Yamamoto <ryokobe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have been having a problem installing RQDA on my Mac (OS 10.13.2). I
> followed the installation process on the RQDA page (http://rqda.r-forge.r-
> project.org/), but I keep getting an error message saying that I am missing
> pkg-config and GTK. I reinstalled XQuartz and GTK+ 2.24.17 multiple times
> (and reinstalled R version 3.4.4), but kept receiving the same error
> message.
>
> Some kind person suggested this page as a possible solution:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19645590/running-rattle-on-mac-os-x-10-9-mavericks/19719518#19719518

The problem with this answer is that it refers to installation on an older version of R. The current MacOS version uses clang6. See https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/

You _might_ be able to run clang4 if you really knew what you were doing, but I'm not in any sort of position to opine on that. The Tools page says that clang6 was used to provide OpenMP support.

> I am stuck after "brew install gtk+ cairo." I have very little knowledge of
> coding, and unsure how to create or modify  ~/.R/Makevars....

A Makevars fie is just a text file. Use TextEdit.app or any programming editor. I'm not sure that those directions are current. The Mac R Tools page used to have similar directions but those directions were removed in the change over to Sierra and High Sierra.