[R-SIG-Mac] rJava stops loading since I upgraded R to 3.4.0

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed May 24 02:29:19 CEST 2017

> On May 23, 2017, at 4:44 PM, Christofer Bogaso <bogaso.christofer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> The file 'rJava.so' exists in my machine :
>
>> file.exists('/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/rJava/libs/rJava.so')
>
> [1] TRUE
>
> Also the Javac version that I have :
>
>> system('javac -version')
>
> javac 1.6.0_65
>
> Looks like mine is older than you. Do I need to download the latest?
> In that case, do you suggest any link? As far as I know, javac comes
> with Mac installed.

Yes, it does and some people seem to get success with that. I found that installing 1.8 (also confusingly known as "Java 8") resolved my difficulties with loading rJava. I'm not an expert, just reporting my ezxperience

> On Peter's suggestion I also did sudo R CMD javareconf. However still
> rJava couldnt be loaded.

For my machine:

>Sys.getenv()  # returns (among many other values)

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH        /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_131.jdk/Contents/

> Any other idea? Thanks,
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:28 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [Christofer seemed to have fallen off the cc: list, now included]
>>
>>> On 24 May 2017, at 00:18 , David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What version of the Java Runtime Environment is available? What do you get for:
>>>
>>> system('javac -version')
>>> #I get:
>>> #javac 1.8.0_65
>>>
>>> I think that version was working with rJava, but I followed the "critical" advice on the Java SDK webpage ...
>>>
>>> ... and after updating I now  get
>>> #javac 1.8.0_131
>>>
>>> And rJava still loads without error. I'm not on Sierra, however.
>>>

>> I am, and rJava doesn't load here either. However after
>>
>> sudo R CMD javareconf
>>
>> it seems happy as a clam.
>>

>>> Good luck;
>>> David,
>>
>> --
>> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
>> Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
>> Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
>> Phone: (+45)38153501
>> Office: A 4.23
>> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com

David Winsemius