[R-SIG-Mac] R commander fonts on R 3.4.0

Peter Dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed May 17 20:51:40 CEST 2017

A few more data points:

I tried building Tcl/Tk 8.6.6 from the sources from sourceforge. Contrary to what it says on the package, it insists on building Tcl and Tk as frameworks, which in turn requires that R's configure needs special instructions. This works reasonably well for simple tcltk stuff (demos, the CRAN selection menu), but unfortunately, library(Rcmdr) causes an "Abort trap: 6" almost immediately. (I get a sense of deja vu about this... Did Brian try something similar years ago?)

It does actually seem to work to build R against the system-supplied v.8.5 frameworks. However, this is Aqua-based, and the fonts are a bit weird (smooth, but way too small) and the Rcmdr menus get moved to the top bar.

I am pretty sure by now that all this stuff is a generic tcltk build problem and way out of John's domain. (Thanks for posting the font code, John. I hope I can get around to having a closer look at it at some point. Those .Tcl(paste()) constructs make me cringe a bit, but not all are easily eliminated.)

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501