[R-SIG-Mac] R commander fonts on R 3.4.0

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue May 16 13:28:25 CEST 2017

It's a build issue relating to Tcl/Tk, not specifically Rcmdr (Rcmdr does something slightly weird[*] with the fonts too, but this seems to be orthogonal to the ugly-font issue).

To see the issue quickly, try

library(tcltk)
.Tcl("::tk::pkgconfig get fontsystem")

With CRAN 3.3.3, I get

<Tcl> xft

and likewise with a local nightly build of R-devel, but CRAN 3.4.0 says

> .Tcl("::tk::pkgconfig get fontsystem")
Error in .Tcl("::tk::pkgconfig get fontsystem") :
  could not find function ".Tcl"

as does a local build of R-patched (???!!!).

This is pretty weird. I'll see if I can dig up some more about where the difference is.

-pd

[*] Try library(tcltk); demo(tkfaq)  then library(Rcmdr) and watch the font change in the tkfaq window.