[R-SIG-Mac] R commander fonts on R 3.4.0

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon May 15 23:17:18 CEST 2017

Dear Jose,

It's a bit difficult to respond to your latest messages because you sent so many of them.

I'm not entirely sure what's producing your font problems -- perhaps Simon will have some additional ideas -- but you should be aware that you can't load the Rcmdr package -- or, more generally, the tcltk package -- without XQuartz (or another X11 system). Normally, XQuartz should start automatically when the Rcmdr (or tcltk) package is loaded. That is, you should not have to start it separately.

It may help to know that the Rcmdr package selects its default dialog font by querying the default Tk font, via the command

	tclvalue(.Tcl("font actual TkDefaultFont -family"))

and sets the font for commands and output by querying the default Tk fixed-width font:

	tclvalue(.Tcl("font actual TkFixedFont -family"))

On my Macs, these are respectively the helvetica and courier fonts.

In any event, I'm glad that you seem to have solved your problem.

John