[R-SIG-Mac] R commander fonts on R 3.4.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 12 20:26:14 CEST 2017

In R versions before 3.4.0 we were shipping our own version of fontconfig which was using the following font directories

--with-default-fonts=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts --with-add-fonts="/System/Library/Fonts,/Library/Fonts,~/Library/Fonts"

As of R 3.4.0 we are using fontconfig from XQuartz (since they started diverging from our version and thus causing issues) so it's now entirely up to the standard font configuration in XQuartz. So my guess would be that you may have some fonts in your private font library which is not configured - possibly in ~/Library/Fonts. As far as I can tell XQuartz uses all of the above except for ~/Library/Fonts so you may need to either install the fonts your want at system level or change your fontconfig configuration to include your private font library. See fc-list to list all your fonts that fontconfig knows about.