[R-SIG-Mac] istate CRAN mirror not working - unable to use .Rprofile to change

Michael Hall mik3hall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:05:23 CEST 2017

I started getting errors installing packages using my default repository instate…

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/src/contrib:
  cannot open URL 'http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4:
  cannot open URL 'http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.4/PACKAGES'
Warning message:
package ‘RWeka’ is not available (for R version 3.4.0)

Googling, I was able to do this using a different mirror selected with chooseCRANmirror(), I chose Kansas.

I googled how to make this the new default and was pointed to .Rprofile.
This doesn’t seem able to do this, with…

message(".Rprofile")
local({r <- getOption("repos")
      r["CRAN"] <- "https://rweb.crmda.ku.edu/cran"
      options(repos=r)})

I get…

Type 'q()' to quit R.

.Rprofile
[R.app GUI 1.70 (7338) x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0]

[History restored from /Users/mjh/.Rapp.history]

Which shows the “.Rprofile” message indicating it has run.
However…

> r <- getOption("repos")
                                    CRAN
"http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN"

Still shows iastate.
Then doing…

> source(".Rprofile")
.Rprofile
> r <- getOption("repos")
                            CRAN
"https://rweb.crmda.ku.edu/cran”

so the .Rprofile does work. R must be changing it to iastate after the profile is run?
I had googled a mailing list thread where it was said .Rprofile wasn’t working on OS X. It was suggested in there that this be posted to this list. I checked the archives for the last couple months but didn’t see any mention.

Is this a problem that needs addressing? Or has a workaround besides sourcing .Rprofile whenever I want to install packages?