[R-SIG-Mac] R crashes/freezes on MacOS Sierra - has this been resolved or is there a fix forthcoming?

Barry M. Lesht blesht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 04:23:07 CET 2017

There were (as I count them) four threads in December regarding R crashing
and/or freezing when running under MacOS.  Some of the problems appear to
be reproducible, but others do not, but the symptoms seem very similar.  I
have been experiencing this same problem (MacOS Sierra, 10.12.2, R version
3.3.2 (2016-10-31) -- "Sincere Pumpkin Patch" Platform:
x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit), R.app GUI 1.68 (7288)
x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, obtained from CRAN) in a way that I am unable to
reliably reproduce.  To "fix" the issue I have had to delete the entries in
the ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.R-project.R.savedState directory
as well as my ~/.Rhistory file. In reading through the past postings it
doesn't appear (to me) that either the cause is understood or that there is
a fix in progress.  I think it would be helpful if someone knowledgeable
could summarize the current situation.  Thanks.