[R-SIG-Mac] Frozen GUI on startup crash report.

Joseph Kunkel jkunkel1 at une.edu
Fri Jan 6 15:07:07 CET 2017

The 'Demitri recovery protocol' which I exageratedl, to delete all the files at "~/Library/Saved Application State/org.R-project.R.savedState/“ ,  worked for me in a 2nd episode of GUI freeze-up where there were no .Rapp.history,  .Rhistory or .RData files to delete.

While this may not be an ideal ‘go to’ protocol, except in the extreme, I ask whether using this protocol might not particularly be wise when the prior mentioned hidden files e.g.  .Rapp.history …, have not been cleared?

If the situation ... freeze-up of the GUI ... arises again, but with say extant  .Rapp.history, I wouldl try the Library file deletion to see if it resolves the problem without global searching for hidden files that might be involved.

I can see that the storage of .Rapp.history,  .Rhistory or .RData files in different locations might be strategically helpful to help with separating different R-projects but I have not read any (perhaps a criticism of me) cogent discussions of how to effectively use the multiple storage sites of these hidden files with or without the GUI.  Am I missing some literature on this point?

Thanks to Demitri for donating this protocol which save me from coming back to the list with my tail between my legs when a new Frozen GUI event happened and my then go-to recovery protocol failed.

Joe