[R-SIG-Mac] cannot change the default language environment

rrlist at mac.com rrlist at mac.com
Thu Jan 5 01:50:53 CET 2017

Hello, everyone,

I’m new to R and new to the list.

I received the following string of messages when starting my first R session:

During startup - Warning messages:
1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
5: Setting LC_MONETARY failed, using "C"
[R.app GUI 1.68 (7288) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0]

WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII characters will work.
Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your system preferences accordingly.

> defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8
Error: unexpected symbol in "defaults write”

As can be seen, the syntax of the "defaults write" command seems to be incorrect. Has it changed? And should I be worried about the earlier “failed” messages?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I wasn’t able to find an archive of the list.

Thank you for any help,
Rick