[R-SIG-Mac] [SOLVED] Persistent inability to load rgl (spinning beachball hang)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Dec 31 02:51:17 CET 2017

After successfully installing RQuantLib from sources, I went to run its demos and got a fatal "beachball".

Tried running R from Terminal with R --vanilla

The demos() panel says that rgl is required and that seemed not to be a difficulty since I had used it many times in the past.

Tried loading rgl ... beachball.

Tried reinstalling XQuartz (and restarting Mac)

Tried Launching XQuartz and got an apple  error saying:

dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
      Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
      Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libJPEG.dylib

So searched on the error message and tried this fix from https://gist.github.com/leonardoborges/2549670

sudo cp /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Resources/libJPEG.dylib /usr/local/lib/libJPEG.dylib

Voila! No further difficulties.

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law