[R-SIG-Mac] Experiences with macOS Sierra

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Fri Sep 23 16:59:34 CEST 2016

I've finally had some time to look at the local build status for some
compiled packages I have locally and also some that are on CRAN after the
Sierra upgrade (and also the 10.12.1 patch which I'm also testing).

This isn't a warning for my own code but from usage of a now deprecated
function in R.framework:

In file included from
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library/AsioHeaders/include/asio/detail/fenced_block.hpp:24:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library/AsioHeaders/include/asio/detail/macos_fenced_block.hpp:45:5:
warning: 'OSMemoryBarrier' is deprecated: first deprecated in macOS 10.12 -
Use std::atomic_thread_fence() from <atomic> instead
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]
    OSMemoryBarrier();
    ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/include/libkern/OSAtomicDeprecated.h:749:9:
note: 'OSMemoryBarrier' has been explicitly marked deprecated here
void    OSMemoryBarrier( void );

Passing this on just in case this hasn't come up with CRAN macOS checks for
the R Core team.

-Bob