[R-SIG-Mac] crash bug report

Jean Peccoud jean.peccoud at univ-poitiers.fr
Fri Oct 21 14:50:45 CEST 2016

Hello,

This is a report for two bugs with R gui R 3.3.0 GUI 1.68 Mavericks build (7202)

########Bug 1

occurring with Sierra 16A323

If you have an R (script) file open that has never been saved to disk and you hit an issue forcing you to force-quit the GUI (could be an issue with your own code) :
Upon relaunch, the app would reopen the unsaved file and will become unresponsive (beach ball), forcing to force-quit again. The unsaved file cannot be closed.
This will happen endlessly.

If some R files are removed (.Rapp.history), the app may launch without stalling, but throws a bug in the console (in red) telling to quit the app. Fortunately, at this stage, the unsaved file can be closed, which ends the issue upon next relaunch.
I’m note quite sure whether removing .Rapp.history was the actual solution, or another random change I don’t know about.

Some users may be trapped in this issue without solution.

Occurring since El Capitan (also in Sierra)

- Save-as an R script file via shift-cmd-s and (or the menu)
- In the save panel, click a file in the browser (you may want to replace it),

The app may become unresponsive upon clicking the file.

It does not alway happen. But I encountered it several times when trying the save a file that was reopened automatically after force-quitting R, and whose name had "saved automatically" appended to it (or something similar, I use the French GUI).

Thank you for your consideration.

Jean