[R-SIG-Mac] Writing R package that calls Fortran on Mac os X El Capitan Error

Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes emammendes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 22:28:41 CEST 2016

Dear Vennetha

I am running R on a mac too.

Please see if my comments below helps.

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 5:00 PM, Kodalore Vijayan, Vineetha W <vwkv13 at mun.ca> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to write an R package that calls a Fortran subroutine on my  Mac
> os x El Capitan with Xcode 7 and gfortran 6.1, R 3.3.0.
>
> I couldn't  build the library with my current namespace commands.
> I get the following error:
>

> * installing *source* package ‘Nepidemic’ ...
> ** libs
> gfortran  -fPIC -Wall -g -O2  -c  randomepi.f95 -o randomepi.o
> gfortran -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined
> dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress
> -L/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o
> Nepidemic.so randomepi.o -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R
> -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation

The name of the library created by r cmd shlib is Nepidemic.so.

> installing to
> /Users/Vineetha/myrlibrary/myrpackages/Nepidemic.Rcheck/Nepidemic/libs
> ** R
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> ** help
> *** installing help indices
> ** building package indices
> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
> Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
>  shared object ‘randomepi.so’ not found

Note that the r cmd check is looking for randomepi.so so it means that it is calling the wrong library (it should be Nepidemic.so).  Are you sure that the NAMESPACE contains the following lines?

useDynLib(NEpidemic,.registration = TRUE)
export(randomepi)

in all the examples I have those lines would suffice.