[R-SIG-Mac] Help! R Freezes When Clicking on the Icons

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 18:24:47 CEST 2016

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 6:25 AM, Scott Novogoratz <sanovogo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While it started as an occasional freeze, I now can no longer get the R.app Source Script icon to perform.  Each time I click it, I get the spinning pinwheel and need to Force Quit R.
>
> Here’s my sessionInfo():
> > sessionInfo()
> R version 3.3.1 Patched (2016-06-28 r70858)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
> Running under: OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
>
> locale:
> [1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
> [7] base

> [1] zoo_1.7-13      xts_0.9-7       grid_3.3.1      IBrokers_0.9-12
> [5] lattice_0.20-33

The presence of `zoo`, `xts`, and `IBrokers` in that list of non-attached namespaces seems unexplained. It's surely not a part of the standard base installation. `lattice` and `grid` are also not loaded by default so this suggests you have not completely removed all traces from the prior installation. Check to see that there isn't an .Rprofile or .Rdata still in the startup directory. (And delete them if there.)

> Here’s my About R info:
> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>
> With help from David Winsemius, here’s what I tried so far:
> 	1. Deleting the .Rdata and the .Rapp.history files from my working directory
> 	2. Reinstalling R

I actually suggested reinstalling the R.app GUI using the binary installer at:
http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-3.3-branch/R-GUI-7238-3.3-mavericks-Release.dmg

I'm now wondering if it would be of value to instead install the Debug version:
http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-devel/R-GUI-7238-3.4-mavericks-Debug.dmg but that is a decision above my pay grade.