[R-SIG-Mac] R dock icon bug, OSX10.11.5, upgrade from incomplete uninstall of R3.2 to 3.3.1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jul 7 17:28:43 CEST 2016

Julian,

I'm not sure I understand your question - can elaborate on "listing functions long since deleted"? Are you referring to R functions, your code or something like that? Your operation of R will create many artifacts depending on what you do, run and use - none of which is under our control.

As for applications, OS X has no central repository, the presence of an application is enough to get it registered. You can use mdfind to locate all instances of an application, for example to search the R GUI you can use

mdfind "kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier == 'org.R-project.R'"

For the framework you would use

mdfind "kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier == 'org.r-project.R-framework'"

The other thing to consider is the metadata registered which you can check with pkgutil via

pkgutil --pkgs | grep ^org.r-project

Finally, as Carl pointed out, OS X may be caching the the files association - I don't know if there is a way to force dis-asociation or if it will keep it in case you decide to re-install the application.