[R-SIG-Mac] Help! Freezes Consistently When Trying to Execute R Source Script

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 19:57:24 CEST 2016

I’m not at the level where I could effectively debug this issue and normally I wouldn’t jump in, but this is a long holiday weekend in the US and it wouldn’t surprise me if Simon didn’t see this for a couple of days.  I would first try deleting R.app from the Applications folder and re-installing it with a clean copy:

http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-3.3-branch/R-GUI-7238-3.3-mavericks-Release.dmg <http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-3.3-branch/R-GUI-7238-3.3-mavericks-Release.dmg>

I do see  “debug” versions but I have never seen it suggested that ordinary users deploy those versions as a first step.

I would also delete the .Rdata and the .Rapp.history files from your working directory. They have a record of getting corrupted an causing instabilities of obscure causes. They are “hidden files” so you either need to “show them” in the Finder or you need to sue Terminal.app to run a bash session and use mv. This is the first method:

Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
In Terminal, paste the following:          defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
Press return
Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.
Tor reverse that after deleting those files you would use the same steps with NO substituted for YES. (My preference is for leaving the hidden files shown.)

Best;
David Winsemius